Everyone has an accent. Accents add to our diversity. They tell our history and reveal our roots. Many people take pride in the uniqueness of their accent.
Sometimes, however, an accent gets in the way. When others don’t understand us, what we’re saying gets lost in how we’re saying it. If misunderstandings are frequent and others keep asking you to repeat what you’re saying, it might be time to look at your pronunciation.
Accent modification is a process of systematic, multisensory instruction. Foreign speakers learn to sound more like native speakers of a language. In some cases, American English speakers work on reducing their regional accent. Whatever the reason, working with an accent modification specialist will help you:
- Accurately produce general American English sounds;
- Learn to discriminate hard-to-hear sounds;
- Correctly pronounce irregular words whose spelling and pronunciation differ;
- Use reduced vowels to sound more natural.
Different options are available to help you improve your English pronunciation. Enroll in a course today.
When a friend enrolls as a new student in a 6-session or 14-session program, you can get an additional free session for yourself. This offer is only valid for current students who refer first-time students.
Ask your teacher for more information.
Students commonly want to know how much benefit they’ll see from accent modification training. Here’s what you need to know – change comes from within. These classes will pinpoint exactly what you need and the sounds you struggle with. Your instructor will prioritize lessons so you get the most benefit in the shortest time. There is no doubt that working 1:1 with a speech therapist is much more effective than working alone or with random online videos. You will improve. How much you improve will depend on several factors:
- your commitment to practice and incorporate lessons into your daily speech
- the support you get from family and friends who help you achieve your goals
Your instructor will craft activities to target sounds in a very clear way. We use a multi-sensory approach to help you see/hear/feel how sounds should be made. Students experience improvement immediately. The more effort you put in, the more you’ll get out of it. We’ll also take samples of your accent before and after you complete your program. You’ll hear for yourself how much better you sound.
Changing the way we talk is hard work. It will take practice and dedication on your part. But with guidance from a knowledgable and caring professional, your pronunciation will improve. You’ll see improvements in your pronunciation of English sounds as well as in intonation, stress, and the rhythm of speaking. Some benefits of accent modification include:
- Easier communication with less repetition;
- Fewer misunderstandings;
- More effective presentations;
- Being understood on the phone;
- More confident interactions with co-workers and customers;
- Increasing the number of appropriate roles for actors.
Do you want to improve your English pronunciation? If so, accent modification (or accent reduction) may be right for you. In general, accent training is recommended for:
- Foreign speakers with solid English language skills (e.g., vocabulary, word order, and listening skills) who simply want to improve their English pronunciation;
- English speakers who want to minimize their regional accent;
- Actors who need to adjust their pronunciation for a role;
- Business people, medical professionals, or researchers who want to improve the clarity of their communication.
Still have questions? Contact us. If this program sounds like a good fit for you, enroll today.